Last night was the first workout of this phase of training....and I got not even two miles into it and fell, spraining my ankle pretty good. I got right back up and walked (hobbled) for about a minute then started jogging again and just gradually picked back up my pace. We were doing a steady run of 8-9 miles so I had about 6 left to do on it. Coley (my training partner) actually started getting bad stomach pains about 4 miles into it, so the run was quite the disaster for both of us! BUT we still managed to get in 7 and a half miles in 53 minutes (7:07 pace). Slower than we wanted, but with how the night went, we were just grateful. My coach asked me what patch of ice I slipped on....and I just looked at him, smiling, and he says: "You would. I pick the clearest of clear paths that I can find and and you manage to trip over a tiny bump in the road that you probably never knew was there." He was correct.....I have been fighting the black ice, snow, and sleet for a week now and haven't had any issues...the path is finally clear and I hit a bump the wrong way and go down. He has sympathy for me though because he has done that on numerous accounts. :oD It is pretty dark out there when we run, so I am surprised something hasn't happened yet!
SO, today is a day off for me. Just going to give it a rest and keep icing it, trying to keep the swelling down. I'll run my 4 mile morning run tomorrow and then hopefully be able to do the 8-9 mile hilly steady run in the evening.
This month's focus is on mileage and core work. The mileage is to take what we accomplished this fall and have our bodies store it so that when we begin "winter minutes" next month, we are aerobically very fit. I talked with Coach on the phone this morning and he said he knows I am going to improve a lot the next few months, and at a really fast pace, so he may start putting me with the guys on some workouts to push myself to where he knows I can be. He also informed me today that he predicted that I could run 1:20 or faster for a half marathon at this point right now. VERY good news because that would allow me (in theory) to complete a marathon in 2:46, which is the qualifying time for the Olympic Trials. :o)
Well, I am off to ice my ankle some more. :o) Hope you are all doing well!!
No comments:
Post a Comment